Monday, October 6, 2008

So why worry?

Why do we worry? I mean, more specifically, why do I worry over things I have absolutely no control over? I'm not going to lie about it - I'm really good at worrying.

Let me give you an example: Growing up I had serious attachment issues. I would become extremely attached to objects and people like nobody's business. When I was about 6 or 7 I remember randomly bursting into tears because I was terrified that one day my dog, Missy, was going to die. I mean - she wasn't even old - she was maybe 5, but I would freak out knowing that one day I would lose her. Who does that? Who worries about things that are going to happen 10 years down the road? I did. I still do...

I think it's because I feel like I need something constant, something tangible I can physically hold onto that's forever. That "thing" doesn't exist. The whole time God was jumping up and down screaming at me: "I'm right here! I'm forever - eternal - everlasting!", and I ignored Him. Now I have this incredible relationship with Christ, and I still find myself struggling with this sin. Obviously it's not to the same depth - I'm not getting hysterical over having to one day say goodbye to my couch (ask me about that story one day - it's pretty hilarious), but I still seriously struggle with worrying about things not in my control.

The LORD does not call us to figure out our own struggles or understand the trials we're going through. He calls us to be obedient. That's it. He calls us to step out on faith and trust in Him. He does not call us to complain and fake our way through those tasks He sets out before us and figure out the reasoning behind them - that's where the worrying comes in! Sometimes I think God laughs at me because I feel like I know how to take care of myself. I think I want control over my life because God just can't handle it. I mean, how ridiculous does that sound? He's GOD.

It's okay for me to not be in control. It's okay for me to not make lists all the time or not fill my days so there's no room for chaos. It's also okay for me to walk by faith not knowing the outcome but being assured it's God's will. Some of the most incredible testimonies in my life have come out of blind obedience to my Heavenly Father. I mean, I would never label myself a reckless person by any means, but in my Faith, some "recklessness" by a worldly standard is absolutely necessary. Sometimes the things the Lord calls us to do won't make sense, but it's in those moments that God is testing us and growing us. He's wanting us to choose Him - trust Him - pursue Him, even if it seems scary. He wants us to take His hand as He leads us somewhere new and different - knowing that He's about to rock our world.

  • "Now therefore, my son, obey my voice as I command you." -Genesis 27:8
  • "For the LORD your God is testing you, to know whether you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. You shall walk after the LORD your God and fear him and keep his commandments and obey his voice, and you shall serve him and hold fast to him." - Deut 13:2-4
  • "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Phil 4:6-7
So why worry? He's got us, and there are no better hands to be in...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

KB-

you are amazing. This is something I needed to hear as well, and we just actually had a sermon about it on Sunday at church. Obedience is all God asks for- not our "trying to be good" or "self-sufficient self-righteousness". God has a plan, and we have to say yes. There are no other options.

I love that you are so honest and amazingly REAL about this issue. Thanks for being awesome. :-)